Korea’s National Health Insurance system enables people to use medical institutions at a discount by paying a certain amount of money every month according to income. Eligible foreign nationals can also enroll in National Health Insurance for the same benefits.
Besides enjoying significant discounts, people on Korea’s National Health Insurance can also have a free medical examination every two years.
Paying Premiums for National Health Insurance
People covered through their workplace
Insurance premiums are deducted from the monthly salary.
People insured individually
A bill for the insurance premium is issued every month and the subscriber pays for it at bank or post office. Foreign nationals with F-1, F2 and F-5 visas are charged the same amount as Koreans. People who are married to Koreans are charged the same fee as Koreans regardless of the type of visa they hold.
* If a person who is married to a Korean has a child born with Korean nationality and cannot pay insurance premiums due to financial difficulty, the Government of Korea will pay.
A national health insurance card is given to everyone who subscribes to Korea,s national health insurance system.
Qualifying for National Health Insurance (for foreign nationals)
– Only those with an Alien Registration Card are allowed to apply for National Health Insurance.
– Those who are working for an eligible company, public servants and teachers are automatically insured with the National Health Insurance plan.
– Those who are not insured through their company can subscribe to National Health Insurance individually by submitting their Alien Registration Card and an application form to the National Health Insurance Corporation, but only after having resided in Korea for three months or more.
– Foreign nationals who are able to prove they will stay in Korea for more than three months for study or employment can also apply, even though they have not yet been in Korea for three months.
– If a person is already covered by the National Health Insurance through their workplace, his or her spouse is automatically covered if they are declared as dependents on their tax return.